Thursday, February 25, 2010

Daily Encouragement, Wit & Wisdom for February 25

Happy Birthday to Pierre Renoir (1841)

  • “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.”

  • “When I've painted a woman's bottom so that I want to touch it, then [the painting] is finished.” 

  • “Shall I tell you what I think are the two qualities of a work of art? First, it must be the indescribable, and second, it must be inimitable.”
Happy Birthday to Enrico Caruso (1873) 
  • "It was he who impressed, time and again, the necessity of singing as nature intended, and - I remember - he constantly warned, don't let the public know that you work. So I went slowly. I never forced the voice."
  • "A big chest, a big mouth, 90 percent memory, 10 percent intelligence, lots of hard work, and something in the heart." 

Happy Birthday to Millicent Fenwick (1910)
  • "Never feel self-pity, the most destructive emotion there is. How awful to be caught up in the terrible squirrel cage of self.”
  • “I have come to believe that the one thing people cannot bear is a sense of injustice. Poverty, cold, even hunger, are more bearable than injustice.”
Happy Birthday to George Harrison (1943)
"As long as you hate, there will be people to hate."
"Gossip is the Devil's radio."
"I wanted to be successful, not famous."
"Love one another."  
"There's high, and there's high, and to get really high - I mean so high that you can walk on the water, that high-that's where I'm going."

Happy Birthday Davey Allison (1961)
  • “I realized I better enjoy & appreciate & contribute as much as I can today because all of this could be gone tomorrow."
  • “Darlington is tough. The third turn got me again, but this time I took out Dad, too. That really hurts”

Events This Day in History...

1570 - Pope Pius the Fifth excommunicated England's Queen Elizabeth I.
1601 - Robert Devereux, the second Earl of Essex and former favorite of Elizabeth I, was beheaded in the Tower of London for high treason.
1779 - The British surrendered the Illinois country to Lieutenant George Rogers Clark at Vincennes, Indiana.
1793 - President George Washington held the first Cabinet meeting.
1836 - Samuel Colt patented his revolver.
1901 - United States Steel Corporation was incorporated by J.P. Morgan.
1913 - The Sixteenth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, authorizing the income tax, went into effect.
1919 - Oregon became the first state to tax gasoline.
1950 - "Your Show of Shows" starring Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Carl Reiner, and Howard Morris debuted on TV.
1964 - Cassius Clay dethroned world heavyweight boxing champ Sonny Liston in a seventh-round technical knockout. Clay then announced his conversion to Islam, changing his name to Muhammad Ali.
1976 - U.S. Supreme Court ruled that states may ban the hiring of illegal aliens.
1986 - President Ferdinand E. Marcos fled the Philippines after 20 years of rule; Corazon Aquino assumed the presidency.
1988 - American televangelist Jimmy Swaggart was defrocked by the Assemblies of God for one year after it became known that he had visited a prostitute for three years.
2005 - Dennis Rader was arrested near his home for the BTK serial killings that terrorized Wichita, Kansas between 1974 and 1991.
2006 - The world's estimated population reaches 6.5 billion....



Poem of the Day....

A Poet to His Beloved
by William Butler Yeats
I bring you with reverent hands
The books of my numberless dreams,
White woman that passion has worn
As the tide wears the dove-grey sands,
And with heart more old than the horn
That is brimmed from the pale fire of time:
White woman with numberless dreams,
I bring you my passionate rhyme

No comments:

Post a Comment